Our Church has a history dating back to the 1870s. We have kept track of the highlights in the life of our church and its members in numerous scrapbooks over the past several decades. These scrapbooks are kept in the Church library in Pollard Hall. Below is a brief history of the beginning of our church as was recorded in 1875.
The first preaching service in Stirling proper was held on the morning of the first Sunday in February, 1872 in a new store near the depot, when Mr. Grant preached from 1st Corinthians 2:2, to an audience of 17.
June 19th, 1873, 24 people signed a pledge to become members of a Presbyterian Church at Stirling, NJ, as soon as it can be in due form organized, to be under the care of the Presbytery of Morris and Orange. This pledge, meeting the approval of the Morris and Orange Church Executive Committee, that committee was called to meet at Stirling July 9th, 1873, at two o'clock P.M., to organize a Presbyterian church. Nineteen letters were presented. The letters were accepted and the church consisting of nineteen members was duly organized. Rev. Henry M. Grant was called as the church's first pastor.
On July 19th, 1874, the chapel being fully completed, was solemnly dedicated to God, virtually free from debt. It was a delightful and inspiring occasion. "With devout gratitude did we as people and Pastor then recognize, 'Hitherto hath the Lord helped us!"
From a "Historical Statement" by Rev. Henry M. Grant, September 20, 1875.